- AMBROSIA cake Ingredients
- TO MAKE THE cake YOU WILL NEED:
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 large eggs plus 1 yolk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- pinch salt
- 3 cups vanilla butter cream frosting
- 1 teaspoon zest plus 2 teaspoon orange juice from one orange
- 1 (9-in.) angel food cake
- 2 (15 ounce) cans mandarin orange slices, drained and cut lengthwise
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut toasted
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices, drained and cut into half moons
- FOR THE pineapple CURD:
- Bring pineapple juice to a boil in saucepan over medium heat. Whisk eggs, yolk, and sugar in medium bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly pour hot juice into egg mixture, then return mixture to saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until thick enough to cling to spoon, 2-3 minutes. Take off the heat, stir in butter and salt, then strain into small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until thickened, at least 1 hour.
- FOR THE orangE FROSTING:
- One cup vanilla frosting in a bowl. Stir in orange zest and juice.
- TO ASSEMBLE:
- Cut cake horizontally into 4 ever layers. Place bottom cake layer on a large plate. Spread 1/2 cup orange frosting over cake and top with 20 orange slices. Place next cake layer on top of orange slices and spread with pineapple curd. Top with next cake layer and spread remaining orange frosting and 20 more orange slices. Finish with top layer of cake and coat top and sides with remaining vanilla frosting. Press toasted coconut into sides of cake and decorate with remaining orange slices and pineapple slices. Refrigerate.
- This cake takes some time to make but the rewards are fantastic, it is good any time. We love it with hot coffee.
Just A Great Cake! And No Baking1
Group RecipesView Full Recipe