- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium shallots, diced small (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 small asparagus spears, tips and bottoms removed, sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups organic vegetable stock
- 1 medium-size potato, diced into 1/4-inch cubes (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- Garlic croutons, bagel crisps or roasted asparagus tips for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, warm olive oil over medium-low heat; Add shallots, garlic and salt; sweat vegetables on low heat until shallots are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add asparagus to saucepan and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add vegetable stock, potatoes and thyme. Cover and bring to a boil; skim foam off the top with a ladle.
- Lower heat and simmer about 30 minutes with lid slightly ajar. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat; discard thyme sprig. Puree soup in blender in batches, 1-2 cups at a time, until smooth. (Safety tip: Cover top of blender with a thick kitchen towel while you puree to keep hot liquid from splattering.)
Strain pureed soup through a large fine-mesh strainer to remove any remaining lumps. Return soup to saucepan.
- Season soup with lemon juice, pepper and salt to taste. Garnish and serve immediately.
Tips & Tricks
To make roasted asparagus tips garnish: Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil and add asparagus tips. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast asparagus for about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat, layer on top of a bagel crisp and use to garnish soup.
Spring's Favorite Vegetable -- Asparagus -- Stars In This Hearty Soup, Which Also Includes Shallots, Potato, And Thyme. It's The Perfect Starter Or Appetizer For An Earth Day Feast, Or For Any Time You Want A Fresh And Filling Soup.