- 2 pounds of the best steak you can find
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced. You can use white button mushroom from the grocery store, but I think this dish is a special treat with foraged morel or oyster mushrooms.
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups stock or water
- 1 cup kasha (buckwheat groats)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A few grinds of fresh ground black pepper
This Is The Way I Learned To Make This Dish From A Fine Russian Cook. There Are No Cream-of Soup Or Cans Of Broth Here. This Is Really Head And Shoulders Above The Gray, Gloppy Dish Often Offered Under The Same Name.