- apple Crumb Pie
- 1 9" unbaked pastry shell (If frozen allow to thaw)
- 7-9 green cooking apples, peeled , cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup of sugar (or 1/4 cup for sweeter apples are used)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- Melt butter in pan under a low heat, cut each prepared apple into about 8-9 pieces, add apples to butter and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, covered, stir apples and butter mixture every few minutes till they start to look a little cooked and there is some apple juice in the bottom of the pan, uncover add sugar and cinnamon, coat apples by stirring, leave uncovered allowing a syrup to form as the juice evaporates, keep stirring apples till this takes place. Place partially cooked apples and syrup into a unbaked pastry shell and set aside.
- 6 tablespoons butter (butter should be cold not at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Cut butter into 1/2 " pieces and drop on top of flour, using a pastry blender, blend flour and butter mixture until it is crumbly, add sugar and keep blending till crumbs are formed. Place topping over partially cooked apples in 9" pie crust. Bake at 375 degrees for 50-60 minutes depending on your oven , top should be a little brown and juices should be bubbling. Cool before cutting serve plain, with cheddar cheese or ice cream.
Who Doesn't Love Crumb-topped Pies?
Group RecipesView Full Recipe