- A Dozen Delicious Waffle Variations
- This is a great recipe for a special breakfast or brunch! Lots of variations!
- 3 C sifted all-purpose flour (or part whole wheat flour)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 T sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 egg whites beaten until stiff
- 1 1/2 to 2 C sweet milk or buttermilk
- 4 T melted butter
- Sift dry ingredients together. Beat egg yolks until light and add the milk and melted butter. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Fold in beaten egg whites. Bake in a hot waffle iron. Makes about a dozen waffles.
- - Put the waffle batter into a pitcher. It is much easer to pour the batter!
- - Don't overfill waffle compartments or the batter runs out on the sides of the waffle iron.
- - Waffles are done when there is no more steam rising from the iron.
- - After cooling, freeze extra waffles in a plastic freezer bag. Separate with wax paper before freezing.
- 1. Apple Waffles - Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the dry ingredients. Add a cup of chopped, peeled apple to batter. Serve with warm applesauce & sour cream.
- 2. bacon Waffles - Crumble a few slices of cooked, drained & crumbled bacon into the batter.
- 3. banana Waffles - Add a chopped banana to the batter.
- 4. Blueberry Waffles - Add 1-cup fresh or frozen blueberries (thawed & drained).
- 5. chocolate Waffles - Increase sugar to 1/3 cup and add 1 square melted unsweetened chocolate OR add 1/2-cup cocoa and a 1/3-cup sugar to dry ingredients. Serve with whipped cream and chopped pecans.
- 6. cinnamon Raisin Waffles - Add a teaspoon cinnamon and a couple spoonfuls of plumped raisins to the batter.
- 7. ham Waffles - Add a couple of spoonfuls of diced ham to the batter. SautÃ© it first for better flavor.
- 8. molasses spice Waffles - Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a 1/2-teaspoon of nutmeg to dry ingredients. Add 3 tablespoons of molasses to liquid ingredients.
- 9. Nutty Waffles - Add 1/4 cup chopped peanuts, pecans, walnuts or filberts. toast the nuts for better flavor!
- 10. orange zest Waffles - Add a tablespoon orange zest to batter. Substitute 1/2 cup orange juice for 1/2-cup milk.
- 11. pineapple Waffles - Add a cup of well-drained crushed pineapple to the batter.
- 12. sausage Waffles - Add a couple of spoonfuls of cooked, crumbled and drained sausage to the batter.
Why Not Make Your Own Hoemmade Waffles - Which Of Course Can Be Frozen For Future Use!
Group RecipesView Full Recipe