- 4 cups organic vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 can quartered artichoke hearts (about 4 ounces), drained, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Warm vegetable stock over low heat; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil on medium-low; add shallots, onion and garlic. Sweat vegetables until shallots and onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add rice, stir and coat well; cook about 1 minute.
- Add artichokes, sage, white wine, salt and pepper; cook over medium-low heat until wine is absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Start to add stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until rice absorbs all of the liquid (about 15 minutes per cup). Rice should get creamier in texture as stock is added.
- When all stock has been added and absorbed, remove rice from heat and mix in cheese. Serve hot.
Make it Faster
To save time -- and money -- you can use canned artichoke hearts that have already been quartered instead of fresh ones.
Tips & Tricks
Because Arborio rice is so full of starch, it can easily stick to the pot if it is overcooked. So be sure to keep an eye on it, stirring the rice constantly to keep it from sticking.
This Creamy Rice Dish Is A Spring Twist On A Classic Italian Risotto. Artichoke Hearts, Sage, And Wine Combine With Parmesan Cheese For A Main Dish Or Side Dish That's Perfect For An Earth Day Get-together Or A Family Meal.