- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups (1 liter) peeled, cubed, raw pumpkin
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups (1 liter) chicken broth (homemade or canned)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add the pumpkin and the potato and stir to combine. Pour in the chicken broth, cover, and let the soup simmer until the pumpkin and potato are very soft — about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth (you will have to do this in 2 or 3 batches). Return the soup to the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, cook the orzo — in other words, maggots — in a saucepan of boiling water until tender but not mushy. Drain, rinse under cold water, and stir into the pumpkin soup. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, if necessary (some chicken broth is salty enough that additional salt won't be necessary).
This Spicy Pumpkin Soup, A Puree Of Hearty Potatoes, Sweet Pumpkin Puree, Savory Chicken Broth And Orzo, Is Guaranteed To Spice Up Your Next Halloween Party.