- Vegetable or other cooking oil
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed, minced
- 1 cup milk, plus more if needed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canned corn kernels
- 1/3 cup chorizo sausage, diced small
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese mixture
- Preheat oil to 375 degrees F in a large deep skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper (to taste) and sugar; add thyme and blend well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup milk and egg until frothy. Pour into dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- Add corn, chorizo and cheese; mix well.
- To make the fritters, drop batter into hot oil by the large spoonful. Cook fritters in batches until browned all over, about 4-5 minutes total. (If batter seems too stiff, add a small amount of milk to thin.)
- Drain fritters on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt to taste and serve immediately, or keep warm at low heat in oven until ready to serve.
Tips & Tricks
Serve fritters with mild salsa, jalapeno-flavored sour cream dip or spicy cheese dip.
Crunchy And Sweet, These Tasty Sausage And Cheese Appetizers Make Great Party Food. Pair The Fritters With Sauces, Dips Or Even Salsa For A Finger Food Everyone Will Love.